Thursday 15 November 2007

Haila y Charanga Habanera @ Cafe Cantante




Although they are a mere shadow of their former all-conquering selves, I wanted to see Charanga this trip, check out the material from the new album, get into the spirit of things. The best suprise was an appearance from the ever-charismatic Haila who, like the rest of the country, is increasingly bowing to reggaeton. Not that I mind the stuff as much as I used to, but with a voice as powerful as hers, it seems such a waste. Atmosphere?- Good. Band? Great. Crowd?- all little forceful, but still ok.

Taking my normal spot as close to the stage as possible, I started to feel part of some kind of riot as the crush increased and increased. It did seem a little like a boy band audience- in my late 20’s, I felt like I was well out of place at a teen disco. We hung on, despite spolit girls doing all they could to dislodge us from the audience. It got too much- we escaped the crowd and grabbed a beer for relief.

Charanga Habanera
The ‘boyband’ came on to screams and a full surge forward simillar to football disasters. I too had the sensation that I would be squashed any second so escaped again and peered over teenage heads to see what the fuss was about.

The tunes on offer were taken from the new album which I wasn’t too impressed with but as a band they were slick, well presented and delivered what the majority of the audience wanted. It was too much of an ordeal (yep, even at a matinee larga) so we escaped.

Charanga Habanera are currently touring Canada- check out timba.com for more info

No comments: